Re: OS's menu?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: OS's menu?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:10:26 +0100

On 31 Jul 2013, at 09:23, "Lundberg, Johannes"
<johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are there any ongoing plans on change the default menus of GNUstep?
>
> I know there are work in progress to have GNUstep use Ubuntu's menu instead
> of having a floating menu on the desktop.
>
> Are there similar work in progress for making this happen on Windows and OS X?

The Windows theme will use in-window menus, drawn with the win32 APIs.  I don't
know of anyone using GNUstep for GUI applications on OS X, but if you request
the Mac interface theme then you get Mac-style menus for other GNUstep
applications.  This is what I tend to use.  You can also select in-window menus
if you prefer them.

> For me the floating menu is quite awkward and doesn't go well together with
> any modern OS of today. It takes up space on the desktop and won't let you
> maximize your window without hiding the menu.

Yes, the NeXT style menu performs very poorly in Fitts' Law analyses as well.

> Having GNUstep applications use the OS's menu would be a great improvement in
> my opinion. However, I suppose maintenance load would increase whenever
> there's a new version of the OS.

It depends on stable APIs.  These exist on Windows and they might eventually
exist with Unity...

David