Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:53:55 +1000

Can we get these packages also built for SID? I think sid and the latest stable debian should be targeted. Since sid is the bleeding edge of Debian (in other words it's basically 6 months stale anyway.) I know they still have version 1.19 of MPDCon.app when the current version is 1.4. Hardly "bleeding edge". Since gnustep is a gnu project, it sort of belongs in Debian as upto-date as possible. i've always viewed Debian as the most gnu-like distribution.

On 2013-08-08 20:57:54 -0600 Austin Clow <dr_clow@mac.com> wrote:

> SORRY I FORGOT TO REPLY TO ALL
>
> YES. A script would be lovely. When I do it manually, I mess up, I forget to
> get some dependency installed corruptly, or it fails for what ever reason.
> And then I end up with a piece of junk. When I get it all to work, I
> literally forget how I got it that way.
> On Aug 8, 2013, at 9:17 PM, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>
> wrote:

Philippe Roussel builds and updates (frequently) packages for Ubuntu and Debian.
But you should add the appropriate repositorie to install these packages. You can
found on google how add a new repository. If you have Debian Wheezy amd64,
for example, you should add the repository as:

deb http://coyote.octets.fr/pub/gnustep/packages/wheezy/amd64/ ./

and update the list of packages. As Philippe say, the packages for Debian Wheezy
amd64 are build with Clang.

Other way is use GNU SRC (http://www.gnu.org/software/gsrc/). After install and
configure. You can install gnustep with:

make -C gnustep/gorm

You should have installed the Objective-C compiler of GCC. In other way GNU
SRC will download the source of GCC and build it. GNU SRC will tell you if you
need install another package. I tested it (not in a fresh distro) and it works.
But if you face problems, contact with Brandon (GNU SRC maintainer) who will
appreciate any feedback.

Of course would be great have all these info at wiki.

Germán.