Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:21:49 +0100

On 9 Aug 2013, at 03:00, Austin Clow <dr_clow@mac.com> wrote:

> Here: http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html
> FreeBSD
> cd /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
> make install clean

I completely agree that this should work.  I am currently in the process of
updating the GNUstep ports in FreeBSD.  I've got updates to the core libraries
done and I'm making clang 3.3, libobjc2, and the non-fragile ABI hard
dependencies for everything.  I still, however, need to check that all of the
ports that use the core libraries still compile after the switch and either
update them or cull them from the ports tree.

In the next few weeks, the new package building infrastructure for FreeBSD
should be online, and then we'll be pushing out new package sets every 2
weeks[1], so updates should be relatively painless and users will just be able
to do pkg update to get them.

David

[1] It really amazes me how much faster computers have become in the last
decade.  We're now building the entire ports collection (around 25K packages)
on a single machine, and it takes about a day per architecture (we'll probably
end up with one build machine per arch).  When the old build infrastructure was
designed, it was a complex distributed system that did builds across a whole
rack of machines and collected the results.