Re: GNUstep's default theme...

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: GNUstep's default theme...
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:26:21 -0500

I guess I'll put my 2 cents in...

To me, the look itself isn't that outdated.  Personally, even on Windows, I use the "Classic" theme because of the well defined edges on GUI artifacts.  That said, I do think the default GNUstep theme needs an update.  The gray is too dark, the icons do not follow recent developments, and some GUI artifacts, like the knob, just look weird.  In my opinion, we don't need to re-do the whole thing, just update it and bring it in line to today's monitors (I've heard it said here that the default theme mimics the NeXT theme, and you could adjust the gamma on NeXT monitors but it's not something anyone does today).

My suggestions would be:
- Lighten the color up a bit.  Like I said, the gray is just too dark compared to what everyone else is doing.  See the GTK+ default and Windows Classic themes, like it or not, people accept these as the "default classic" theme for application.
- Use the Tango icons.  I know people might not agree with this, but the Tango icons fit better with almost everything else out there and are kept fairly up to date.
- Minor updates to some of the images.

That's all just my opinion on the issue.  I wouldn't have any time to help, all my spare time goes into corebase and that's already too far behind schedule as it is.