Re: display UTF-8 characters

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: display UTF-8 characters
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:23:54 +0200

On Monday, September 23, 2013, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:29:10 +0200 Philippe Roussel <p.o.roussel@free.fr> wrote:

> I'm using gnustep from svn with cairo backend and here's what I get
> with SimpleAgenda. It looks like the date is correctly drawn.

Yes, it is correct. So no ideas how to get the same in my case (except trying
svn version which I will not have time for now)?

Hi all,

I've just tried with the latest SVN versions of ... well, everything: gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, gnustep-back, and the trunk of SimpleAgenda :-)

I've also used the Cairo backend, and in Croatian locale Thursday (četvrtak) is incorrectly printed in both calendar header and title.

I use clang:
$ clang --version
clang version 3.4 (trunk 184672)
Target: i386-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

I don't have en_US.ISO-8859-1 locale installed. Maybe this is relevant?

checking whether compiler supports UTF-8 constants in executable... ./configure: line 5224: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.ISO-8859-1): No such file or directory
no
configure: WARNING: Your compiler does not appear to support locales or command line options to control handling of charactersets, so we cannot be sure that the compiled code will contain the UTF-8 string literals expected by gnustep-base.  This means that using any source code code containing non US-ASCII text in string literals may give unexpected results (or crashes) at runtime.  However, as long as any such literals only use the UTF-8 characterset, this is unlikely to be a problem (since old/faulty compilers are likely to pass the UTF-8 literals through to the compiled code). Please configure using --disable-unicodeconstants to avoid seeing this warning.

Alternatively, how are weekdays calculated? I suspect this is done by -base, based on this line in SimpleAgenda:
[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] objectForKey:NSShortWeekDayNameArray];

If someone is adventurous, my setup is easy (albeit lengthy, because of clang!) to reproduce: a clean Ubuntu 12.04 with http://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-ubuntu/ used for installing GNUstep.

Run the script with this environment variable set: WITH_TRUNK_LLVM=1 and do so inside an intended build directory. e.g.:
  mkdir ~/gnustep-build
  cd ~/gnustep-build
  hg clone http://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-ubuntu/
  WITH_TRUNK_LLVM=1 ./gnustep-ubuntu/GNUstep\ with\ libobjc2\ on\ Ubuntu.sh
All dependencies should get installed, everything relevant should get built and installed (including trunk llvm/clang -- which is the lengthiest build phase of them all; consider yourselves warned).

Please review README.md for other build options.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net