Re: Themes (again)

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 17:21:43 +0200

On 2013-09-27 14:25:32 +0200 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
On 27 September 2013 13:11, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:
2) Release a desktop. A simple one. Curently, Gnustep as a desktop is
already better and more complete than Razor-qt, LXDE or EDE. What is mainly missing, but can be provided with existing Windowmaker appicons, are a
notification area and something to easily mount and umount. Add some
wrappers script and you will have the basis for a very good 0.1 desktop.

What does "release a desktop" mean?

Do you mean, a Linux distro based around an integrated setup using
Window Maker and GNUstep?

If so, I agree. I would like to help. I've wanted to make such a thing
for some time, but I don't know where to begin.

I mean "like others do" : release a set of tarball files and a few instructions to setup. This would be the first step. That would allow a desktop to be setup by tweaking current installations done with packages from distribs.

I'm a pragmatic. While not perfect, Gnustep as a desktop is already usable for an advanced user. Distribs provides packages. One just need to know what to install and how to configure everything.

This should provide attention to Gnustep, attract new users

I think it would (if I understand you correctly).

and I have no
doubt that you will soon have plenty of new themes.

Oh dear. Let's hope not.

;-)

xavier