Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 22:11:30 +0200

On 2013-10-06 21:29:04 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

Markus Hitter wrote:

[Unity] is the default, so most people use it, including me :)
even if it is the default, I don't like it. Also windows 8 is not the default and I continue not to like it. Just a personal taste

Well said. The taste of everybody else is formed by the rest of the distribution. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of things being "better" or "worse", it's a matter of what people are used to. Not respecting this will annoy people, no matter how good the intentions are. A margin to diverge from this for bringing in improvements exists, but is quite small.

The "hide" makes indeed sens with those icons in the lower left corner.

Ah, competition to what the Ubuntu window manager tries to do already. GNUMail.apps icon shows up in the lower left corner as well as in Unitys launcher bar.

Oops. I didn't mean to restart discussions I well remember from 5, 8, 10 years ago. I shall shut up now until I can provide code. :-)

Thanks for writing and maintaining this great app!

Markus