Re: browsing over ssh

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: browsing over ssh
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 18:57:00 +0000

On 7 Nov 2013, at 18:33, "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get GWorkspace browsing remote files? I've found
> Nautilus' ability to browse over SSH very handy in the past, and I'd prefer to
> not do it via static mounts or FUSE...

I'd much prefer this kind of thing to work via FUSE.  I've found the Nautilus
behaviour spectacularly irritating, where you find a file, double click on it,
and then discover that the app that's registered to open those files doesn't
use GNOME VFS (it being under the impression that the VFS is the job of the
kernel, not the file manager) and so returns an error for an invalid path.

The correct way of implementing these is to have a privileged help daemon that
will mount things on demand, in directories owned by the user who provided the
credentials.

David