Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:54:03 -0600

In article <mailman.6849.1385143763.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then you're reading the website. It clearly mentions Cocoa.  Unfortunately
> you're right in that most people will not even bother to read. They will
> simply look at the default look and make assumptions.

It mentions it, but it doesn't draw any *attention* to it.  It's just
part of the "word soup".  As a visitor, I don't get any sense of what
I'm intended to *do* with GNUstep.

Put another way: software is often designed with a use case in mind, and
a web site should reflect it.  The issue I'm pointing to is simply one
of communication/branding.

For example, let's pretend I'm an average developer who has seen iPhone
apps explode, but I don't know much about Apple's technology and I
*certainly* don't want to buy a Mac just to give it a try.  If someone
told me to try gnustep.org instead, do you honestly think it is inviting
enough to result in a conversion?  I don't, and I say this as someone
who has had an interest in GNUstep since 1996.

There are a multitude of such use cases, none of which are being
addressed by the website or packaging of GNUstep.  Yes, the software
itself can and should be improved, but when you want to attract a crowd
(Kickstarter or otherwise), the main hurdle is communicating a message
that people want to hear.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,