Re: bundles and COPY_INTO_DIR precedence

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: bundles and COPY_INTO_DIR precedence
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:08:29 +0100

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 19:16 CET, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with TalkSoup. It is difficult to package, at the
> request of Sebastian I am trying to fix it.
>
> Right now, it "copies" some stuff in the GNUstepOutput bundle from its
> Tools (two executables). It uses chown, etc. Sebastian can give further
> information if needed.

The problem is that in the "normal" build stage, the GNUMakefile is calling
"make install" to install the dns_helper and exec_helper tool into a subfolder.
This by itself is not really a problem, but its a problem for my packaging
environment
on OpenBSD. I try it within the ports tree. At some point, make install calls
chown,
and that is not possible to work at that stage, since ports are built as
"normal" user,
and that normal user usually has no rights to chown something to root.

The patch to "fix" the issue for me is just to simply copy the files to the
destination
directory.

> The bundle itself goes inside the App Bundle.
>
> I need the "make" and "make install" phases to be separate. Fine. I
> think it is clean that the "Tools" are a separate sub-project copied
> into the bundle, that is what I did in the attached and proposed patch
> (sources are in GAP).
>
> if you do "make && make install" everything is fine"
>
> However, if you do "make install", the tools (dns_helper, etc) get not
> copied into the bundle.

I find the existence of those tools suspicious anyways, and at least the
dns_helper
has some flaws.
Maybe short term, we could just apply my patches to get around the
situation, and then for a next release get rid of those tools, and just run
things in a separate thread. I guess the intent of those tools, is just to not
block the rest of the application.

Anyways, the question is good and interesting, so if there is a simple
and cleaner solution to the problem, I'm also interested in it ;)

Sebastian