Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:54:03 +0100

Hi,

when reading other people "rants". I do think that you have feelings and are expressing them. However, the concept of "which direction" to take is again something persona. You feel you want more "Apple friendliness" with respect to Cocoa and iOS.

I feel frustrated because I envision a different direction for gnustep and in the past years, some "holes" are still there, while even other people made other changes.

Take a step back. The way you write (and many others) is that by wishing something people will do that.

Think differently.

Do you want an UIKit implementation? Fine. You may ask, somebody might help you. You amy want to do it yourself. Start working for it. When you have something working, ask if it can go to the repository.
Has that been denied to you? I don't think so.
Is GNUstep.org as a project holding you back?

We have corebase, we have xlib, art, win32, cairo backends. For minor things we have a lot of configure options, you can decide which graphic formats to support!

Take this example:

Think about SmallWebKit, SWK. A lot of people voiced for an HTML solution. Nobody ever moved a finger to do it. Nobody agreed on HOW to do it. Many people call a pure objective-c implementation. Yet, it is hosted inside gnustep.org. DO you want it? you can try to use it, report bugs, contribute it. You can join the semi-regular and informal developer meetings we try to have with Nikolaus and Fred about it.

GNUstep incorporated it, it hurts nobody for it to be there. WIll it go anywhere? I don't know. But it is and was fun and helped to find a n incredible amount of bugs and limitation in gnustep base and gui!!! And there still are!

A lot of people voice "we want a real WebKit port" . Well, nobody is stopping them to do that, or? Of course, just asking is not enough.

Sometimes asking motivates other people, maybe they share the same idea and get in touch with you.