Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:00:35 -0500

David,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
On 20 Dec 2013, at 13:18, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (and I wonder how many people find the source mirror on github and think there hasn’t been a commit in over three months, too).
>
> I agree ... mirroring to github seems to have been a mistake.  I'm pretty sure Greg wrote warnings with it to say it was a reads-only mirror, but warnings are not sufficient as people don't read/notice them.

I did, and you're correct, people didn't realize it was read only.   I would still like to get the github mirror working again as it was spurring interest and allowing others to leverage GNUstep code more easily.

Having a buggy mirror on GitHub is a mistake, but for LLVM and FreeBSD we've found it increases the number of contributors if done correctly.  GitHub, much as I dislike its UI, is one of the least-bad hosting providers out there for open source projects and is very popular.  We're using it for a few projects here because it's the easiest way of setting up something that everyone can use.

I agree with this.  The issue is that I had a server which was running the git mirror, but the site which ran the server went out of business and I didn't realize it.  By the time I noticed the server was offline, it was too late.   The same scripts don't seem to work on my other machine here so I've been trying to get the mirror scripts I had written back up and running locally without success.

One of the side effects of git sucking so much is that lots of people have written good tools around it so that most of the time you can avoid having to interact with git.

Indeed.

Oh, and one of the less-advertised features on github is that all of the git repos there are also svn repos.  You can do an svn co of a GitHub repo and it Just Works™.  I think they're also adding hg.

Very cool.

There's also an ObjC framework for the GitHub API, but I don't know if anyone's tried it with GNUstep: https://github.com/octokit/octokit.objc

Nope, I think it's worth a shot, though.

I would actually be in favour of making the GitHub repository the authoritative one, as it lets you work with git or svn and it's a lot more approachable for new developers than gna.org.

We should discuss this.  I wouldn't mind either.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA