Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:07:05 -0600

In article <mailman.9699.1387488933.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com
> > wrote:
>
> > The kickstarter can also be seen as the attempt of Gregory to become
> > elected
> > into that leadership role by user's votes.
> >

> Really, is this what you think?  Wow...
>
> Pardon me, but I earned the role by writing Gorm and also contributing
> heavily to GUI as well as other parts of GNUstep.  I was appointed this
> role by Richard Stallman and it was universally agreed upon that I should
> be lead by the people in the project at the time prior to you even being
> involved, sir.  I'm pretty offended by the suggestion that an attempt to
> drum up interest is seen as an attempt to gain a leadership role that I
> already possess.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's not how I read Nikolaus' comment.
Perhaps a different way to think about things is the "types" of leaders
that exist.  Consider the possibility that being a lead developer isn't
the same skill set as being a CEO or brand manager.  I don't think
anyone is disputing that you're good at what you do, but we all have to
sit down from time to time and figure out our real strengths and
weaknesses.  And it's not even a weakness of *yours* that open source
projects are notoriously difficult to manage.  So we all acknowledge
this; the question remains whether anybody *wants* to explore new ways
to organize things.  So far, the answer seems to be dismissively NO (but
I'm still working my way through the comments :-).

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,