Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:48:23 +0100

Am 21.12.2013 10:53, schrieb David Chisnall:
> If you want to use git-svn yourself, yes.  However, you then lose all
> of the integration with things like GitHub

I see. You talk about the advantages of Github, less about the advantage
of choosing between Git and SVN. On this base I can agree, even if I
can't share the enthusiasm about Github.

> one of the attractive things about something like GitHub is that you
>  get the distributed nature of git WITHOUT the large number of forks
>  hidden on people's laptops.

If you clone a repo - the usual way to grab sources - it IS hidden on
your laptop, Github or not. Publishing this requires additional steps
which can be done with any form of repository. To my experience sending
patches is more welcome and easier to do than this fork / clone again /
re-apply patches / push flow. People send in patches to a Github
unrelated forum or by email (which is somewhat hidden by Github, too).

If Github would generally fork before cloning, you'd get closer to what
you describe. But then you also had a mess of thousands of forks and
still only the hope people actually push.

One excellent thing on Github is the capability to comment inline in any
file or commit. This is encouraging for people to drop a line or two if
they see something. The notification mechanism is good, too, because you
get email when somebody mentions your @name anywhere.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter