Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:13:15 +0100

On 21.12.2013 20:01, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> On Sat Dec 21 2013 at 6:36:31 PM, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:
>> Why do
>> most people here expect users to compile software from tarballs? Outside
>> of GNUstep people are used to use appstores (which Ubuntu provides).
>>

> That's simply a result of the reality of the project:
> - occasionally, there are still important patches in SVN
> - people come to the mailing list and complain not even about tarballs, but
> about the state of Debian packages
> - if we were to do it, someone would have to maintain releases for Debian,
> for Ubuntu, for Gentoo, for OpenSUSE, for FreeBSD, for OS X, for Windows...
> see how the list grows?
>
> David and others take care of FreeBSD. Philippe is taking care of Debian
> and Ubuntu. It'd be great to create a build farm with all the various OSes
> and set up a nightly build system. It may be possible to make use of
> openSUSE Build Service (or a local installation using Open Build Service).
> Who will do it?

Me? In our wiki (http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Platform:Linux) you
can find a link to this OBS project
(https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=X11%3AGNUstep) where I
provide at least the four core packages. Building for OpenSuse 13.1 is
currently broken but will be fixed as soon as the next GNUstep release
is out.

I am willing to support more packages for OpenSuse if I get an initial
spec file for them.

Fred