Re: Compiling on openbsd with gcc4.8, executables fail to run

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Compiling on openbsd with gcc4.8, executables fail to run
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:24:08 +0100

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 01:49 CET, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, December 30, 2013 20:23 CET, Riccardo Mottola
> > <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wanted to compile gnustep on OpenBSD by using gcc 4.8.1 from ports,
> >> instead of the standard, old gcc 4.2.1 compiler.
> > The question is, why do you want to do that?
> Well, if you want to use gcc instead of clang, but want to use a newer
> version of gcc than the packaged one I think this is the path to follow?
> > And even better question, what platform do you are on, which version of
> > OpenBSD?
> > You are missing important information ;)
> Oh, plain OpenBSD 5.4, i386, matched binary packages, nothing fancy.
> >
> > And why don't you leverage the ports infrastrucutre, its all there, and
> > likely only a few lines change in the ports Makefiles.
> Well, because I am accustomed to build gnustep myself! else, how can I
> always test SVN stuff?
> Also, I am so accustomed to GNUstep layout and prefix=/ that I rarely
> want to switch
> >
> > With regard to the libobjc, do you have thought about installing
> > ports/x11/gnustep/libobjc1, or have ports/x11/gnustep/libobjc2 installed?
> libobjc1 should not be needed with gcc 4.8, it is not even needed with 4.2
>
> On Linux Gentoo it just works out of the box, but there I have only gcc
> 4.8, here I have both the system one and the port supplied one, I think
> this is the problem. I don't know how base can give preference to one
> over the other. What is even more disturbing is that they both have the
> same so-number! that's bad.

One of the reasons I named the libobjc2 library libobjc2.so.X.X
in the ports tree is because of the naming clash problems.

I'm sorry but you omitted the answers to my questions above
to be able to help you, and to understand why you are doing it.

Sebastian