Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:13:56 +0100

GNUsteppers,

thanks for all the help, the four core packages, respectively their 35
binary packages, of GNUstep are now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages:

https://launchpad.net/~mah-jump-ing/+archive/ppa

Just add this PPA to your list of package sources, install them, and you
have no longer a need to compile from source. Unless you want to work on
one of the packages, of course.

Please test. If there are ever details not working, please report them.
Package naming (mostly) matches the older ones already in Debian, so
these get upgraded.

Next packages on the plan are Pantomime, Addresses and GNUmail.

Also on the plan are fully automated updates. IMHO, having weekly
snapshots on the major Linux distributions is a worthwhile goal and
matches the GNUStep development model better than updates only on
request and only once a year.

On which host could I do this? For myself I have only a commodity PC
available which is turned off when I'm on vacation or at sleep. Updating
the packages is about 15 minutes of CPU time per update, minimum space
requirement about 250 MB. Doing the actual build is not part of the
update process, that's done on the Launchpad servers.

Thanks,
Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter