Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 21:35:43 +0100

Am 01.01.2014 21:13, schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
> Hi,
>
> Markus Hitter wrote:
>> What about ABI compatibility? Is this an issue? I see Donovan and Gürkan
>> named the packages for -base and -gui with a version number, like
>> "gnustep-gui0.24" This way one can install both, gnustep-gui0.22 and
>> gnustep-gui0.24, in parallel.[...]
>
> it was always problematic, I don't know if there were debian policies
> for that, but a full-rebuild is much better.

I think it's less about a full rebuild (that's easy), more about
supporting packages from elsewhere. More drastically it's seen with e.g.
Python, which had so many changes that applications written for Python
2.x would no longer run in a Python 3.x environment. Accordingly, both
Pythons can be installed in parallel to allow running both, older and
newer Python apps.

However, looking at this:

> Another VERY important thing that Debian often forgot is that you have
> to compile all packages with a certain GCC version. Often in Debian
> unstable it happened that you had certain packages done with version X
> and others with X+1, but this caused mixed runtimes and just segfaults.

... it looks like this is hard to avoid anyways, so I think I better
make no headache about it until actual trouble arises.

Thanks for the insight.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter