Re: Building on FreeBSD 10+BeagleBone Black (arm)

From: Lundberg, Johannes
Subject: Re: Building on FreeBSD 10+BeagleBone Black (arm)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 19:51:32 +0900

Hi Richard!

Thanks! Yeah, I'll give it a try. FFI seems to be running on arm for iOS and Linux so FreeBSD might not be so far away :)

--
Johannes Lundberg
BRILLIANTSERVICE CO., LTD.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2 Jan 2014, at 04:44, "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm doing some experimenting on the BBB and I managed to build all dependencies for gnustep-make and gnustep-base (natively on the BBB, from FreeBSD ports).
>
> However, configure on gnustep-base seems to stop at
>
> checking FFI library usage...
>
> # top
> shows
> 46094 root          1  76    0 10736K  2140K RUN    139:22  90.28% conftest
> but user cpu usage is around 4%.
>
> Not sure what the script is doing at this time. Is there any known problem with FFI? If so, are there any alternatives? Will gnustep-base run without it?

FFI is pretty much a hard dependency for GNUstep right now if you want to use invocations or anything based on them (distributed objects, NSUndoManager etc).

In theory we can do the invocation stuff in other ways (originally we used buiultin gcc specific functions), but we've dropped support for them as FFI is the mechanism portable to most platforms, and it's active maintained by someone else (so we don't need to duplicate someone elses effort).

IMO the best approach to get things working on a new polatform is:
1. get the latest FFI release and try that
2. if that doesn't work, get the current development version and try it
3. last resort ... hack on the latest development version, and ask for help from the FFI people, try to interest them in getting it working on your platform.  With a bit of luck they'll help out if you can test any changes they make for them.  I think there is FFI working for arm and for free bsd, so it's likely that getting it working for the combination is not hard for one of their developers.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
秘密保持について:この電子メールは、名宛人に送信したものであり、秘匿特権の対象となる情報を含んでいます。
もし、名宛人以外の方が受信された場合、このメールの破棄、およびこのメールに関する一切の開示、
複写、配布、その他の利用、または記載内容に基づくいかなる行動もされないようお願い申し上げます。
---
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information in this email is confidential
and intended solely for the addressee.
Disclosure, copying, distribution or any other action of use of this
email by person other than intended recipient, is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
error, please destroy the original message.