Re: this is a modern way to present a project

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: this is a modern way to present a project
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:20:16 +0100

Hi,

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
at first I was a bit shocked by your reaction. Then I thought that you just
might have the impression, I was going to criticize your work. This wasn't the
intention of my message. I just happened to come across that elementary os web
sorry if I gave that impression, I didn't took it personally! I genuinely didn't like what I saw on that page, for the content and style of how things were written on that website and how the navigation was organized. Perhaps I sparked up too much, because just a couple of weeks ago I analyzed a similar site with another person and it took me some time to demonstrate that what at first looks nice and simple is actually very terrible for any further navigation other than the first glance. I wrongly inserted negative comments about "elementary OS" itself, that was out of place, although, I state, on the positive site, the character of the product and the website are very well matched, which is good!
page and liked the light and simple style of it. Yeah, it looks appleish, but
also with a different design style it would look not to crammed. I thought
about how this was done: presenting an appetizer using a pleasing look
(obviously the Apple look is pleasing to a lot of people) and so make people
look closer and scroll, the scrolling then reveals more appetizers which link
to the real stuff. They did avoid cramming to much information into a small
space by doing so. I found this idea inspirational and wanted to share it.
Maybe I should have explained this better at first hand.
What you write is correct, the concept of not cramming everything on the first page is correct. However, if you think the current webpage, with all the critics it gets, tries to follow that concept! It just fails to "trigger" your interest probably.
Today I found an insightful article which is about an analysis on how users
interact with web sites. trigger words seem to play a very important role in
this:

http://www.uie.com/articles/trigger_words/
Very correct, I think the same. A problem is however, that people get triggered by different words and different people get different reactions! When reading elementary os's page, all the empty marketing fluff, triggered me negative reactions. Other people might just get bored or even get scared when reading other more technical words! Since we have both aspects in GS, it is not easy.

Too many emotions are flowing currently in this "website" discussion, I shall be more detached.

I will continue improving the design in GAP, also by taking inspiration about your "elementary os" page, I will attempt a thing I initially discarded.

I am also improving a bit of the GS site content in the meanwhile! Soon some news.

Riccardo