Re: Emacs and GNUstep

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: Emacs and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 23:49:54 -0400

Robert Slover <rjslover@me.com> writes:

Hi Robert:

> Your times are likely based on an Emacs running on a local machine,
> correct?

Yes.

> I work across dozens of hosts spread across the country. Using
> X-enabled Emacs remotely is nice and snappy when linked with the older
> X toolkits. Not with GTK.

Yes, modern toolkits such as GTK and QT does not work well for remote X
due to lots of network traffic. You can either use an NX server[1] such
as Free NX[2] or better yet, just use Tramp[3].

Regards,
Charles

Footnotes:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology

[2] http://freenx.berlios.de/

[3] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode

--
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)