Re: Copyright assignment requirement

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment requirement
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:10:24 +0100

On 2 Jun 2014, at 23:47, "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp>
wrote:

> I believe a switch to BSD license could possibly be healthy for this project.
> As many companies who want to use this project but can not due to GPL/LGPL.
> Surely all improvements would not be committed upstream but maybe more than
> is currently.

I don't agree with this for the simple reason that I have seen no evidence of
many companies being unable to use GNUstep due to licensing.
On the contrary, I work for companies that sell to major international telecoms
operators ... big, conservative companies ... who don't have a problem with the
license.

What I have come across personally though, is a small number of companies who
were initially against including/using free software, but changed their
position when the actual license was shown to them (ie they had an initial
uneducated reaction influenced by FUD).

While there will undoubtedly be a few people who might want to use the software
in a way that's incompatible with the license, there can't be many since the
LGPL is actually very permissive (and it's hard to make other software *depend*
on the the few GPL tools in a way that would bring it under the GPL).

My impression is that the people who say the license is a problem are mostly
those who are already advocates of BSD and/or negative about the FSF, and while
I don't doubt that their beliefs are honestly held, I question the degree to
which such a person would have argued in favour of using GNU software in a
company.

So my feeling is that the number of companies for which the license is an issue
is few rather than many, and that they are probably over-reported too.

On the issue of copyright my feeling is similar but different;
I know people hate the admin process of doing the copyright assignment (much
more than people disliking the principle, though there are a few of those too),
but we need the copyright to be assigned to the FSF (or some similar
arrangement to ensure that all code in the project is legitimately released
under the LGPL license we are using) because otherwise the companies I deal
with really might have a problem using GNUstep.

If GNUstep contained components for which there was uncertainty about whether
the code was actually under the LGPL license then these companies would not
dare to use it; they need confidence in the legitimacy of the code.

I don't think copyright assignment to the FSF is the only way to get that, but
if we abandoned that we'd need to put something else in its place, and the
admin overhead of the replacement is likely to be just as onerous (or worse
than) the existing process.

About the small number of people with philosophical objections; do they
outnumber those with philosophical objections to *not* assigning copyright?  I
don't know what the ratio of dedicated-free-software-developers to
anti-free-software-developers is.