Re: GNUSTEP on OSX 10.6.8

From: Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) MMath (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP on OSX 10.6.8
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:59:24 +0100

Yes. We have computers with more processing power than supercomputers did 20
years ago running on our laps (even running our phones), but the software seems
to have gone backwards. In terms of quality of design, for me, NextStep 3.x was
the high point. You had bundled Mathematica, TeX, Ensemble, ScorePlayer,
RenderMan, Objective C, IntefaceBuilder, ProjectBuilder, WriteNow, Improv,
Distributed Objects, etc., a really well-designed, ergonomic and usable GUI,
and a system that was well-designed, everything was orthogonal and made of
inter-operating components.

Today, the best we have is Mac OS X - I find the GUI to be an unergonomic,
poorly thought out rat's nest, different widgets everywhere, apps with
inconsistent user interfaces, input gestures that are overloaded so that they
do not act consistently everywhere, monolithic 200MB+ sized conglomerates like
iTunes, HFS+ file system, Finder, non-determinism introduced by AI algorithms
everywhere so you never know quite for sure what your computer is going to do,
apps with hard-wired dependencies on other specific apps, chips and operating
systems so complex they are full of bugs, security vulnerabilities and
surveillance backdoors. Lots more software, but poorly integrated, poorly
designed and full of bugs, including the O.S. itself. My NeXT never crashed, I
had it running for close to a year without rebooting, Mac OS X crashes and
becomes unstable all the time.

It would certainly be interesting to have an industrial-strength simple
stripped-down developer's/scientific/engineering/technical user's distribution
based on some simple underlying unix-like O.S., advanced filesystem like ZFS,
running GnuStep on top, and have the old NeXT apps reproduced for a more
well-designed NeXT-like experience - with the added benefit of a 2GHz+
multi-core CPU, gigabytes of RAM and terabytes of storage.