Re: GNUSTEP on OSX 10.6.8

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP on OSX 10.6.8
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:10:56 +0200

Hi,

"Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) MMath (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA" wrote:
It would certainly be interesting to have an industrial-strength simple
stripped-down developer's/scientific/engineering/technical user's distribution
based on some simple underlying unix-like O.S., advanced filesystem like ZFS,
running GnuStep on top, and have the old NeXT apps reproduced for a more
well-designed NeXT-like experience - with the added benefit of a 2GHz+
multi-core CPU, gigabytes of RAM and terabytes of storage.
why do you think I work relentlessly on GNUstep and GAP since the past 12 years? or perhaps it is 13 now?

Although we will never achieve the integration with the underlying OS like there was NeXT and although our requests to the operating system interface and to applications in general increased a lot, making them by definition more complex,

However, the closest thing we can have to get this experience back is GNUstep... MacOS has its roots there but as you describe, it pollutes its interface, delivers humongous, dumbed-down apps.

Windows-8 is going that route too.

So I can only hope to improve GNUstep on my workstation and laptops, but it is an extreme, disheartening task where one can only work brick after brick and do not discourage.

Riccardo