Re: Phoenix language

From: Dr . H . Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Phoenix language
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:37:51 +0200

Am 23.10.2014 um 00:21 schrieb Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net>:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote:

> That is what I’m doing.

It looks like a “I, GC” project rather than a “we, GNUstep”.

I was unaware that free software has to be a team effort :-)

No, it hasn’t. I just wanted to state my view on what it is.

I’m not sure GNUstep ecosystem benefits only from team efforts.

Usually any project benefits from individuals who roll up their sleeves to do something.
And from a team which brings in mass and quality through taking different roles.

So someone (_one_ = 1) must take the initiative.

So you should not
be astonished about some reactions here.

Yes, it'd be nice if things continue to be discussed in a civil way, including suggestions for improvements.

I'd love to learn more about proper compiler design from observing discussions here. (Clang+LLVM and GCC are way too large to be studied.)

If you like to study an Obj-C Interpreter that is starting to do useful things:

https://github.com/goldelico/mySTEP/tree/master/ObjC

It is designed as a pipeline:

preprocessor - lexer - parser - abstract syntax tree - tree rewriting modules - code output module/tree interpreter

Originally it started with the vision of a translator from Obj-C 2 to Obj-C 1 but turned its focus a little. To make

chmod +x file.m
./file.m

do something reasonable.

BR,