Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 08:57:19 +0000

On 5 Nov 2014, at 08:46, Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 04.11.2014 um 21:06 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>
>> Revisiting something from WAAAAY in the past, I'm wondering if this
>> shouldn't be reconsidered....
>>
>> Given that we have people using tools on Linux such as this one...
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/theunarchiver/
>>
>> WIth issues like this:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/theunarchiver/issues/detail?id=644
>>
>> Should we at least provide the option to hide the directory or,
>> possibly, make it hidden by default?   There's no real reason why it
>> needs to be exposed.  Any thoughts guys?
>
> Of course there is a reason for ~/GNUstep to not be hidden. There is
> ~/GNUstep/Applications and ~/GNUstep/Tools which are both convenient
> locations to install applications and tools in your own home directory
> (passing GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=USER to the make command).

Yes, I'm not sure there's any reason to change the *default* directory layouts
... for many people putting everything in a single GNUstep subdirectory makes
perfect sense, and no one config will please everyone.
However, encouraging distributions (and other interested people) to contribute
their own filesystem layout files for inclusion in gnustep-make seems good.