Re: Various discussion

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Various discussion
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 23:19:43 -0600

Hi

On 2014-12-10 21:16:08 -0600 "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

Hi

In a long I haven't used any of the desktop GUI apps that come with
GNUstep. I revisited Gemas.app homepage and saw that it now has
auto-complete so I decided to give it a try. I've been fighting with emacs for a while but the auto-complete support for Obj-C isn't all that good and
this is an absolute necessity for a modern editor.

My setup is
Lubuntu 14.04
Install gnustep with apt-get to get all dependencies
Uninstalled gnustep\* with apt-get and installed from source

Version:
libgnustep-base.so.1.24
libgnustep-gui.so.0.24
libgnustep-back-024
libcairo2-dev 1.13.0~20140204-0ubuntu1

Gemas 0.4
ProjectCenter 0.62

NSMenuInterfaceStyle Windows95

Result:
ProjectCenter/Gemas
- I couldn't set Gemas at editor in ProjectCenter. It says it can't find it
and crash. I had to edit the plist manually.

The last version of PC have a different protocol than previous versions, so Gemas 0.4 don't work with this version of PC. You should use the development version of Gemas. I will make a new release soon, but first I want see if I can do some improvements.

- Auto-compete doesn't seem to work. Do I need any additional
tools/configuration?

Odd

- Everytime I launch projectcenter a non-existing project called PCExample is opened. I had to remove the entry from the plist to get it to disappear.

If you use Windows interface style, this is needed. In other way, where we will put the menu? Maybe we need an option to open the last project you are working. Or display a panel asking what you want do?

UI
- In all scrollviews the rendering gets messed up, can't see content unless
I click on an item.

This is a problem with the version of cairo 1.13. You should add this change:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/libs/back/trunk/Source/cairo/CairoGState.m?r1=37523&r2=38135&sortby=date

- Can not use arrow keys to scroll up/down in list view.
- Fonts seemed to be rendered smaller than in Lubuntu desktop. For example
an 11 pt size font has difference size in GNUstep's preferences and
openbox's preferences.
- When using windows style menu the y position of mouse click gets
translated by menu height. That is the click is registered about 1 cm above the mouse cursor. (in ProjectCenter with silver theme, haven't tested other
apps).

Some days ago I tested GNUstep on Lxde in Trisquel 7 (based on Ubuntu 14.04). And all this works for me, but I'm using the development versions of GNUstep. Although I had other problems. See:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnustep-dev/2014-11/msg00005.html

Anyway, I will check it again in Lxde.

- Whenever I press an arrow key in ProjectCenter editor to scroll up/down
the mouse cursor changes from line to arrow. Quite annoying.

I had this problem also in non GNUstep apps in Lxde and Xfce in trisquel 7 (Ubuntu 14.04). So, I think this is not specific to GNUstep.

Any ideas about these problems?

For Gemas developer:
I like where Gemas is heading. Good job! Hope to get auto-completion to
work and then real time error check would be very nice :) It's a shame
there hasn't been any alternative on non-OSX platforms that has the
functions a modern editor should have but maybe we can be there soon :)

Thanks :)

Best regards
--
Johannes Lundberg