Re: enriched image information in pasteboard in Graphos

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: enriched image information in pasteboard in Graphos
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:39:15 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
GNUstep's (and NeXTstep's) property lists have always supported NSData objects.
So there is no need to serialize them first. Unless I am missing something?
You are right: I fixed my code and it works (on Mac at least, I'll test GS quite soon)! I also went the extra mile: If only one object is selected and I have an Image, I provide both the custom image type with the plist and encoded representation as well as the bitmap image rep, so that the image itself is available for other apps. So you could copy an image back ad forth e.g. to PhotoShop. Quite cool :)

Look at what you can do with it now:

http://multixden.blogspot.it/2015/02/graphos-bitmap-image-display.html

For the next Graphos release I want to enrich also the file format to save images and thus allow mixed vector and bitmap content.

I see two ways:
1) write the same plist with the encoded NSData to disk. I fear that it is slow and inefficient. I also fear that the format is not portable between Mac and GS! could that be? I want of course files to be exchangeable between Mac and Linux, that's the strength of the app! However it would be very easy to to do: that's how all other objects in Graphos work 2) make a bundle format like RTFD, thus save all images inside the bundle. I guess that is faster, is portable between Mac and GS. It always need to be zipped when transferred via FTP, web, ssh....

What do you think? I did non try yet the TiffRep compatibility between Mac and GS, but I know that NSColor is incompatible for example.

Riccardo