Re: sheets in GNUstep

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: sheets in GNUstep
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:59:23 -0600

Hi,
Just to give my 2c: the EWMH spec has window-modal dialogs:

"_NET_WM_STATE_MODAL indicates that this is a modal dialog box. If the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR hint is set to another toplevel window, the dialog is modal for that window; if WM_TRANSIENT_FOR is not set or set to the root window the dialog is modal for its window group." - http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html

Not sure how widely that is implemented in WM's. But I'd vote for keeping sheets as windows in the backend, and passing the information to the backend that it is a sheet and which window is the parent.

There would still need to be emulation of "window-modalness" in gui since not all WM's (including win32) will implement it.

I'm not sure how close this is to what we currently have!
Cheers,
Eric