Solution for the scrolling bug?

From: Tobias Braun
Subject: Solution for the scrolling bug?
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 16:23:26 +0200

Hi,

I was advised on the IRC channel (which unfortunately seems almost dead) to
post my question on the mailing list, so here we go:

On my Arch Linux system, the most recent stable GNUstep version (installed via
pacman, the standard Arch package manager) exhibits a scrolling bug. From what
I read by browsing the mailing list archives, I understand that the stable
version of GS is not compatible with recent Cairo versions. This means I have
to install a newer, unstable version of GS to get it to work.

Now I am not a regular Linux user, as I only set up this Arch Linux system in
order to get to know Linux better, so I need some general advice. I use OS X as
my main OS and know my way around the command line, but that's about it. I
don't really know how package management works on Linux systems and how it
interacts with stuff I'd install from source tarballs. So here are a few
questions that come to my mind:

1. Arch has a system called AUR for compiling packages from source. Should I
create AUR scripts for everything I install from source, or is this not
recommended/necessary?

2. It appears that the default compiler for Arch is gcc. Is it necessary or
recommended to use clang instead for GS?

3. Should I install clang via pacman?

4. Will installing clang interfere with the rest of the system? Will it
effectively replace gcc for everything I am going to compile by default? How
will build scripts know whether to use clang or gcc?

5. How is GNUstep development organized? What branches are there apart from the
stable releases and where can I find them?

6. If anyone is wondering why I opted for Linux instead of e.g. FreeBSD: I
tried to install that first, but 10.1-STABLE wouldn't even load the kernel
image, it'd just freeze while trying to do so. 11.0-CURRENT would start the
actual init procedure, but after a few pages of text, it'd stop with a weird
error message which I don't remember right now. I guess there's not much I can
do about that, can I?

I know that's a lot of questions. I hope someone can help me get a clearer
picture of how these things work on Linux systems. At the moment, there's just
a lot of confusion in my head.

Tobias