Re: DPRK's OS leak and GWorkspace

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: DPRK's OS leak and GWorkspace
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 09:02:36 +0200

Hi,

Maxthon Chan wrote:
 From the leaked DPRK’s Red Star Linux 3.0, which is probably a fork of Fedora,
I found an interesting thing: they packaged KDE apps in the Apple-styled
bundles. Maybe this means that we can coax other Linux distributions’ ld.so
into doing similar things as well?

It is interesting in the sense that they are doing the opposite of what most distribution do with us: they split our bundles.

However it hinted me if we can lift some knowledge from it - like how they made
Apple-styled bundles work under Linux - for the use of Workspace and GNUstep
project in general.

I am downloading the leaked ISO to further investigate this situation,
including rooting, possibility to change package sources, as well as building
GNUstep on it. I will also inspect how their apps are linked as it can be
useful for gnustep-make and xcodebuild-ng packages.

Perhaps we should enhance our Korean support, be it North our South.
I don't think we have anything native in GS to enter Hangeul, but neither we do have for Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji.

Riccardo