Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 13:50:55 +0100

On 25 May 2015, at 08:09, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I wanted to run this past the community to see what the general feeling is.
> I am considering a move back to savannah utilizing git instead of subversion.

I have no strong feelings on this.

While I find the basic git model unintuitive, that's largely counteracted by
gui tools like SourceTree.app ... so on balance I find it similarly usable to
svn.
I don't think it has any real technical benefits for a small community ... but
if potential new developers are more familiar with it, a move might help make
them feel more at home (and of course we need new developers).

Do we have support for git in gnustep-make?  If not, I'd like to see that added
as part of a move:  I'm thinking of the git equivalent of

make svn-tag
make svn-dist

as those are very handy when making a release (occasionally) and

make svn-snapshot

which I use quite frequently for distributing test/bugfix code to different
systems/people.