Re: GWorkspace - thumbnail service problems

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GWorkspace - thumbnail service problems
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:33:26 +0200

Hi,

I just finished fixing the code that mishandled certain images creating broken images. I imported a clean resizer from PRICE.
The same bug could be seen in the content inspector (larger preview)

Interesting, the problem affected only certain JPEG images directly imported from digital cameras or from iPhone. Image that were already "touched" by gnustep like PRICE or LaternaMagica. Very curious.

Anyway, if you didn't notice, just test that I didn't broke anything.

Charles Philip Chan wrote:
        2. Allow much bigger sizes. 48x48 max size previews doesn't
           really cut it, especially for photos.

I analyzed. there are two distinct things:
1) the grid visualization, which I thought was fixed for 48px inside a 64px frame which is "standard NeXT". I am in fact wrong, with a little bit of tweaking, I got 64 and 96 px squares 2) actual thumbnail generation by the service. It does not generate them given the size of the view, but always of a fixed size, currently 48px

The icon view shows them smaller (I haven't found any re-scaling code, perhaps it is using gui scaling, I'd like to add something smoother there) or at most up to that size. I could of course have thumbnailer generate 64px previes, but this starts consuming more space. What if 96px even?

I see two paths
1) find a way to communicate the thumbnailer the size needed. If you change the visualization size, then you need to remove and regenerate the icons 2) keep them big, but compress them in JPEG. I think that nowadays saving/opening a small jpeg has such a big overhead compared to TIFF. Opening is probably quite comparable, saving has more rescaling overhead anyway. Just out of my guts, didn't do any tests.

One could also combine 1) and 2).

Riccardo