Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 23:58:41 +0100

Hi Guys!

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Riccardo has an older Raspberry Pi and is not sure about preparing stuff on an
SD card, but I have ordered a Raspberry Pi 2, which should be delivered today,
and be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.
Obviously it will take me a while to familiarise myself with it, but with
Riccardo’s help, I’d expect to be able to build GNUstep for it by the end of
the week.
So you don’t need to contact him directly (unless you wish to of course), and
you don’t need to do anything yourself, though you may want to
browsewww.gnustep.org  and alsowww.nongnu.org/gap/  (a collection of apps which
aren’t part of the gnustep project, but are written for gnustep)

I have the orignal raspberry Pi and GNUstep runs quite wll on it. I don't know how the situation with the new one is, but mine could be ordered with a SD Card which auto-installed the operating system of choice (at first boot it had some sort of chooser). I don't know if just "cloning" my card would be a good idea, especially since your hardware is different. The operating system I have is Raspbian, a special port of Debian, what do you have?

Let me note what I did for current GNUstep, it might help you and Richard.
I installed GCC and all the basic required dependencies (libxml, ffi, graphic libraries for gui like jpg, gif, tiff, png, cairo)

make configure:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep --with-layout=gnustep

(for a total NeXT/Mac experience, make prefix=/ )

base configure:
./configure --disable-icu

(perhaps ICU was available, I just wanted a smaller system and we do reasonably well without)

gui configure: no additional parameters
back configure: no additional parameters

That is just enough... I built GWorkspace, Ink & Terminal without any problems and they appear to run. I will do further experiments the coming weeks.

Riccardo