Re: Tango Theme for GNUstep - Work In Progress

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Tango Theme for GNUstep - Work In Progress
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 00:07:27 -0500

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:

I love this!

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015, 07:04 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi all!

a lont time a go (at least a year, perhaps more) somebody suggested that he wanted a Tango theme. Perhaps it was Niels or Wolfgang, I don't remember.

I started working on it, but never announced anything because it looked utterly incomplete. Tango is not about your "controls", that is button or menu look, but it strives to standardize the icon look.
The tango project has a reference icon set, but then many derived from it, including Gnome.

The GS standard theme can essentially provide images to customize controls (buttons, bars) and "common" images (folders, images for GUI panels like open&save). Everything else uses the icons provided by the Applications, thus the Tango theme looked awful: GWorkspace results half-themed, because it uses a lot of common images, but any other app looked the same as before.

Now in Dublin I exposed this issue and Richard started implementing a way to to provide named images also for specific applications. Now that opens doors!

Now application icons can be styled (thus e.g. system utilities can have a standardized look) as well as things like "new document" inside a certain application.

To test things, I enhanced the Tango theme a little bit (available inside GAP among the theme bundles

Here a screenshot.

- (new) SystemPreferences icon is "themed" with the tango preferences icon: seen also in GWorkspace berfore launching
- (new) Application themed, GSPdf shows "themed" back/forward and zoom buttons
- (new) Terminal has themed application icon, as can be seen in app-icon
- lighter color scheme to match Tango style
- desktop, folder and standard document icon in matching style

Riccardo