Re: Lotus Improv

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: Lotus Improv
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:01:24 +1100

Sounds like what Aros is trying to do with Amiga, by building an emulator into their reimplementation of the AmigaOS 3.x APIs.

On 20 November 2015 at 06:10, Dr Tomaž Slivnik <slivnik@tomaz.name> wrote:
At least in theory it seems to me that e M680x0 emulator could be written, with libraries implementing the 680x0 NeXTSTEP 3.x frameworks being replaced with a translation layer which could be run in native code, implementing the NeXTstep frameworks on top of GnuStep. FreeBSD, at least, also provides a mechanism for installing handlers to support new binary format types.

Then you could run all the NeXTSTEP apps intermingled with GnuStep native apps.

I don't know just how hard this would be to do in practice, and what the biggest obstacle would be (mapping 680x0 Display Postscript calls to GnuStep primitives? I'm just guessing, I have no idea), but maybe it could be a fun project for someone looking for something interesting to do.