new windows display garbage for a little bit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: new windows display garbage for a little bit
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 16:33:57 +0100

Hi,

I have a strange problem which I noticed on several computers I have.

When displaying a new window (of any kind, menu, window, panel, even the new app-icon window (working for the first time after Wolfgang's change), it flickers, first clearly "garbage" is displayed, then actual contents comes.
1) window frame shown with bad contents
2) certain elements may redraw correctly (e.g. progress bar) against dirty views 3) after a noticeable delay depending on the window/menu, correct display happens

At startup it is very evident e.g. with menus or the root window of the app.

This is particularly evident on slower machines, but strangely not directly related to CPU/GPU speed. E.g. it is very noticeable on my 2GHz x86 with ATI Radeon, but is about the same on my Raspberry PI, which is clearly much slower!
Generally, ATI cards seem to be the most affected.
Apparently, it happens onl with "local" display, remoting display is slow, but does not show this.

Trying to investigate more, I noticed switched the same laptop from cairo to xlib, it is less noticeable, but not because it is faster, but because it looks different:
1) window frame show, but window itself is "transparent"
2) certain elements may redraw correctly (e.g. progress bar) against transparent or grey background 3) after a noticeable delay depending on the window/menu, correct display happens

Usually, re-displaying the same window/menu happens much faster, so this is typically very ugly at app startup or when a new, non-previously used window gets displayed.รน

Resizing a window has a similar effect.

I think our window loading is a bit slow.
But even if it were faster:
1) perhaps we could "delay" the whole display instead of booking the window from the windowmanager? 2) perhaps it could be initialized, so that at least a grey display happens and then gets overdrawe
I think 2) sounds good

to some of our gui/back expert, a bell triggers about this behaviour?

Riccardo