Re: Plans for ahead

From: Adam S
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:42:37 +0000

I'll simply say this ... piStep will address a LOT of this. It will evoke positive feelings of NextStep whilst having none of the restrictions associated with 25yr+ systems.

I am (to the despair of my wife!) spending a LOT of my spare time doing the groundwork, contacting people who can help evangelise and promote piStep through media in its many forms. In doing so I hope to pull GNUstep too into visibility and usage in the modern age.

If you want to develop on piStep like the other 'step' systems then you can. If you want to browse Facebook, send email, play a video, make a text document or spreadsheet then you can.

This group has a limited audience. What you're doing is spending 100% of your time describing the GNUstep "world" to yourselves. As Greg said, all you need to do is put this same effort into telling the outside world about it.

I've got crazy dreams about having online piWorld sessions where developers can share apps they're building for the users - note I said "users" and not the community i.e other developers. I want even just a fraction of people on this planet to consider piStep instead of Ubuntu, SuSe or Android. And I don't want people to feel bogged down by whether something is an API or Library or full Distribution ... I just want them to want to use it. Now, this is nuts and probably won't happen, but in doing it people will at least recognise that GNUstep is out there.

Adam.

On Nov 29, 2015 2:16 PM, "Riccardo Mottola" <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi,

Gregory Casamento wrote:
I absolutely want "our" menus, they are distinctive and useful and if I were
>to make a reference distribution, I'd want to retain that.
They are OLD.   More important than their usefulness is what they
invoke and that is they make people think that we are NeXTSTEP and
OPENSTEP only.  Like it or not our old look is part of our problem.
I'm sorry you don't like this fact, but it is based on tons of first
hand observation over the last ten years.

I'm sorry you mix look and with interface design. Facts and factoids.

Actually, our menus are NEW, they are newer than in-window menus and  one-menu-bar on the top which came from Mac and Motif/OS2/Windows. They have close parents and predecessors (e.g. SGI menus, Amiga menus) but NeXT made them consistent.

The interaction with our menus makes NeXT & GNUstep distinctive and as trying to port applications back and forth it allows for a unique interaction. It allows, for example to have very smooth document based applications which are impossible to achieve (as still the latest office suite of a big software company proves) with in-window menus.
It offers the same functionality as a top menu bar, but is more flexible and works well with big screens or multiple-screens. We do not need to invent things like "tearable menus" and even "palettes" are not strictly necessary.

Thus, playing the same song is of no good for anybody.

Riccardo