Re: Plans for ahead

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 18:04:46 +0100

Hi Liam,

Liam Proven wrote:
If we can get more exposure for GNUstep, get it in front of more
people, get it better known, then it will get more interest, more code
contributions, more development.

I don't want to change it. Improve it, yes. Change it, no.

Improvement is a Change, change is not always improvement! Becoming more flexible about the appearance, while improving even the default one is not an impossible goal.

I'm in part interested in it because it looks like NeXTstep, and I
think NeXTstep is the best-looking desktop there has ever been. So I
am strongly opposed to those who want new themes: I think it already
is nearly perfect and all the alternative themes are less attractive,
to me.

Thanks for these words. Sometimes I feel the only one that likes the NeXT paradigm. I am into GNUstep also because of the way it feels, not just because of the APIs!
I don't like these themes as Rik's that are just a Mac mock.

However, calling what we have "nearly perfect" is a true overstatement. Not only the default theme has glitches in the look, but it is also difficult to adapt things to other themes.

Working lately on alterantive themes (I hope to showcase stuff before Christmas!) I notice how certain details in the default one are ugly.

For one or the other reason we need to adopt themes. Some people like to change the appearance of something for the sake of it.

These weeks I am hacking full speed into getting stuff looking better and delving into the code of GWorkspace, rest assure, it is not "nearly perfect". It just happens to look decent, but it is fragile I'm improving it.

The past weeks have been very active in this regard! Stay tuned.

In my eyes, the biggest hurdle to a usable environment are apps: either plain buggy or with imperfect user interfaces. The style of icons or menus fades in the backgroun with this problem.

What I suggest is just getting it running well on Ubuntu. I'm not
really interested in Debian or any other distros, and less interested
in other OSes. Not that I do not want it to work on them -- I very
much do -- but I like and favour Ubuntu.

That's a personal choice of yours. In the past, Debian packages always worked with Ubuntu though and I suppose it still is so. My personal preference as developer is to support thelargest number of systems out of the box, packaging is then up to others, which should then have the least effort.

I do have a Raspberry Pi; I run RISC OS on it. I am not remotely
interested in PiStep, or NeXT-shaped Pi cases. Frankly they sound
silly to me. As a GNU project, a kickstarter seems strange and
irrelevant to me, but hey, people need paying for their efforts. I am
not interested in running GNUstep on $DISTRO on Raspberry Pi, because
my Pi is the least powerful, least capable modern computer I own;
everything else is faster, has more storage, is more expandable, etc.
My personal goal is to have GNUstep on my ThinkPad: it would be an alternative to a Mac. Hardware+Software. With an interface acutally closer to what I like! I am dreaming this since the past 12 years, the latest Thinkpads aren't that nice anymore, some years ago to me they were really what a NeXT laptop would have been.

But Debian/Ubuntu packages -- better still, upstream inclusion --
would help everyone, whether they want "modern" themes or better dev
tools or desktops for tiny cheap computers. Even if you don't use
Debian/Ubuntu or even Linux at all, more users and more developers
would be good for the project.

Exactly. More themes give the choice to everybody, but shouldn't hurt you who want the original theme.

Riccardo