Re: Plans for ahead

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:47:41 +0100

Hi,

Alessandro Sangiuliano wrote:

Well, yes and no, I also can say that the default GNUstep theme, is just a NeXT mock, and probably is because many people don’t like it. Rik could appear as a Mac mock, but I and Riccardo Canalicchio implemented it to show what GNUstep can do and can be (NeXT-like with the original theme, modern-like using the concept of theming coming from Cocoa, because GNUstep is following Cocoa now right?), so it is more than a simple Mac mock. I also, with some classes, modify the beavhior of certain GUI elements, like NSPopUpButton, to behave as a modern DE; indeed for e.g, it now tracks the mouse events, when the cursor is inside the cellFrame of the PopUp Button; before this little modification, a person had to click the mouse button, then stay with the button clicked, drag the cursor to the items of the PopUpButton, and finally release the mouse button to choice the item of interest; it was intercepting mouseUp events to select items. I don’t like the original behavior that’s is clearly coming from NeXT… I also know a person that has a little problem on his hand, the one he uses to move the mouse. He can’t stay with the mouse button pushed and, at the same time, drag the mouse to the item of interest; he just can’t; in the world I strongly think that he isn’t the only person with this kind of problem(s); so Rik is also looking to the accessibility, in the concept of “easy to use” to every one, also for people that have a similar and little handicap (now just click on the element of interest inside the menu generated from NSPupUpButton, as you do in Windows, Gnome 3, Os X, KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, MATE/GNOME 2, Fluxbox and also wmaker’s menus).

I would not like going too much in the Mac direction in terms of feel.
What you mention is, I think an accessibility feature. When using a mouse, I still drag and select, I never click and select, because I am a long time mac user [1]. However when using different pointing devices, e.g. the nice "stick" of a ThinkPad, certain things are different.

I think your feature should be selectable by a preferences, exactly as we have different menu styles. Not only a theme should be able to select it, but also a (future) accessibility panel of SystemPreferences grouping such things. It could apply to different UI elements too.

Sometimes small things make a nice difference! I love NeXT menus, but actually always use GNUstep Menus, which are those used by default by WindowMaker. Both GS and WM have this setting, but with opposite defaults.

I would like a separate discussion thread to get deeper into this.

Fortunately GNUstep is flexible in this field and satisfies our need, it supports theming and different interface styles, and this put all together; but if we are saying on the site that we are following Cocoa, then we have to show that we are following Cocoa, and to show that we are following Cocoa, we should do that from the “first impact”, and the first impact it’s ever the look, especially for people that don’t know GNUstep internals (API, features, what is, what does, etc).

That is the reason why I don't like to advertise Cocoa so much on the website. I know others disagree. I absolutely do not agree on following Cocoa "form the first impact" and precisely not the look. I don't like several choies done on Mac, especially in more recent releases since iOS exist. Damn, not only they have the wrong scrollbars, but now they scroll the viewport wrong if you use the touchpad. [2]

Riccardo

[1] I still have my Mac II bought used when I was a studen, I have used System 6 and seen colors in system 7, I have 800K floppies and rember when Laptops were PowerBooks with a Trackball [2] If you read [1] you can undestand how much I love(d) Mac and how hard it is to say this.