Re: Plans for ahead

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 07:37:28 +0000

Of course those dependencies are already on the long term goal list, because the long term goal is compatibility with Cocoa. We need to walk before we can run. Right now we don't have a consistent, usable desktop environment. That needs to be a goal before we start trying to go for 100% OSX API compatibility, otherwise in 5 years time, we are going to be back here, posting about how we still don't have a browser, or enough programmers to maintain one, and still can't use GNUstep as a desktop, while GTK4 and QT6 have thousands of programmers hacking on them.

I think most people here can agree that GNUstep hasn't exactly taken off into the stratosphere despite the rise of OSX and interest in the languages/APIs used. I seriously think the first step to that goal is getting people using GNUstep every day. That means a desktop, whether it's on BSD/HURD/Linux/Darwin/NEXT clone kernel. From a desktop perspective, I want to listen to music, watch movies, hack in a tabbed terminal (I use a 4k monitor but still multiple terminal windows is crazy.) use a wysiwyg gui designer, have IRC, and use a web browser. Cynthiune.app, GSMplayer (needs a little love but mostly there), Terminal.app, Talksoup.app, Gorm.app, and now Gregory's project, makes a working desktop environment.

Network/Sound gui's would be nice, but to be honest I can get by with network-manager's CLI and with alsamixer. The dream would be for the Etoile Apple style menubar volume control app to be updated to pulseaudio, and have SystemPreferences.app applets for Network-Manager, Pulseaudio, and Xrandr (steal the code from Arandr it's great).

If you don’t feel like implementing them now I would suggest at least put them on the long term goal list. There will be a time when SWK or CEF start to meet their shortcomings.