Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 15:26:20 +0800

Richard:

This selection criterion is almost synonymous as forbidding free project
contributors to use any tool that may even have, or depend on, any trace amount
of non-free-ness in it - no contribution should be made using Xcode or Visual
Studio or IntelliJ or any computer using an Intel processor or a motherboard
that does not run SeaBIOS. If so you might as well as block me right now on the
grounds that my tools are non-free. If a non-free development tool is
tolerated, isn’t Github front end yet another development tool?

If you want people to use tools that defend their freedom such tools need to
provide a similar level of quality. Linux’s success is because it can deliver a
similar performance as HP-UX or AIX or iOS and beat out Windows. For GNUstep,
the competition is Hackintosh (OSx86 project) but they are far ahead of us.
Ever thought why?

Have you considered that fact that defending users’ freedom (which is a good
thing on its own) too aggressively in the current economy (that is, economy in
2015, not 1991, not 2007, definitely not 2050) means people will lose their pay
checks and starve to death, among which are the world’s best developers who are
currently hired by some of the biggest companies in the world? You may want to
get a reality check here.