Re: Only build llvm backend parts needed for GNUstep

From: Patryk Laurent
Subject: Re: Only build llvm backend parts needed for GNUstep
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 04:41:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 13, 2015, at 12:25 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

On 13 Dec 2015, at 19:06, Patryk Laurent <plaurent@me.com> wrote:

Does anyone know, offhand, how to have clang/llvm only build what is required for GNUstep? I recently built the latest clang/llvm from sources, and found that the whole thing requires about 20GB! But I saw plenty of other backends and things being built along the way that are not needed.

20GB sounds very big. Debug builds are quite large, but release builds are a lot smaller. The back ends only add a couple of MBs, so it’s not worth removing them.

David

Hmmm... is the default to do a debug build?  I simply checked out llvm and build using the following steps:

svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk llvm
cd llvm/tools
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk clang
cd ..
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j8

The resulting disk usage was (I've bolded/emphasized with asterisks the build directory below):

root@patryk12:~/llvm# du -sh *
28K CMakeLists.txt
8.0K CODE_OWNERS.TXT
12K CREDITS.TXT