Re: Please, no GitHub

From: ChanMaxthon
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:59:07 +0800

Richard:

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 11:57, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> I don't see a way to do that.  Do you have any suggestions?
>
>> Well, the easiest answer would be: $$$ but I don't know if FSF has
>> and wants to do such funding.
>
> If we got more money, we could pay staff to work on Savannah.
> If you'd like to donate, please visit fsf.org.

If we can struck a balance between users' freedom and corporates' interests,
not pushing either side too hard, it would be the best for us, as it maximizes
contributions & donations coming in and still keeps our ethics. This balance is
intricate.

>> Well, the best ethics and intention does not help if the service does not
>> work as needed and becomes a burden to projects like GNUstep. This
>> makes developers go away instead of coming in.
>
> Our software would be pointless if not for our ethics.
>
> Fortunately, things are not as difficult as you've made them appear.
> Savannah works, even if once in a while it takes time for some request
> to be handled.  That inconvenience doesn't stop most GNUstep
> volunteers.  And there are other ethical repository solutions too.

There is one problem for GNUstep in particular though: most of the potential
contributors, the OS X and iOS developers, are tied up in employment so the
aforementioned balance have to maintained or without their pay checks they
cannot donate or contribute.