Re: libdispatch-gnustep/libdispatchgs-etoilé vs libdispatch0

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: libdispatch-gnustep/libdispatchgs-etoilé vs libdispatch0
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:52:17 -0500

On Sunday, January 31, 2016, Tristan Bellogi <bellogi@orange.fr> wrote:
> Am 28.01.2016 um 02:27 schrieb Gregory Casamento <address@hidden>:
>>
>> The libdispatch which comes with Debian has always worked for me
>
> I would be surprised if that were the case. The Debian libdispatch
> package links against libBlocksRuntime, which doesn't implement the
> block copy/release hooks in a way that is compatible with the GNUstep
> runtime. That's why you either need a patched libBlocksRuntime that
> exports weak symbols (to be overridden by libobjc2) or a version of
> libdispatch that links libobjc2 directly.

@Greg: I would have of course been happy to disagree agree with this
satement but Neils is right...
I boot up my "old beige G3" this morning to run an old "MkLinux DR3"
with WMaker & GNUstep... Thoses Good Old Days! ;-)

Indeed.  Niels is correct. I thought at one point libdispatch was working without the need for a modified libBlocksRuntime, but after some testing it appears I'm incorrect.

I'm hoping that's what you're disagreeing about.

I have never had the opportunity to use mklinux so I'm not sure what relevance it has here.

> @Tristan: I maintain a set of vagrant boxes that provide a GNUstep
> development environment, including libdispatch, maybe it can be useful
> to you: https://www.github.com/ngrewe/gnustep-boxes

@Neils:A great thank you for the link itself but also for what's in the
box! Already using vagrant/aegir with Drupal, I enjoyed to successfuly
run a "gnustep up" ;-)

Thanks again
Later,

Tristan