Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:40:19 +1100

on the topic of a gnustep distro.... has anyone looked at packaging gnustep for Reactos?

On 18 February 2016 at 16:19, Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:
Absolutely --- an entire OS which you just install on some partition
of a gpt disk
would be perfect, imvho.

I would certainly download and use it.

And, to me, it would be infinitely preferable to a piece of middleware.

But the guys who are developing it rightfully have the choice of what
to develop,
and it is their exclusive decision on how to invest their time.

I would say, though, that i think it is fantastically difficult to devise
a useful piece of middleware that can easily run well on a pile of
targets, and the Next itself tried making a version running on only
two platforms (their own and NT) but abandoned the project.

And i would say further that Thom's troubles ultimately stem from this
fantastic difficulty.  It is very hard to imagine how a small team could
pull off a reasonable windows version.  The fact that there's a windows
version which is only 2 years out of date is already an amazing
achievement, again imvho.  Cross-platform is hard (and i would dare say
that QT, WxWindows, Java and other such efforts underline this point; it's
hard to act like a native if you are not a native).

So in my opinion, trying to hit a moving target (Mac) while wanting to
run on all kinds of platforms (including Windows) is much too ambitious.
Doing one job well seems much more in reach.

However, those that are doing the work get to call the shots, and
everyone else, including me, is a whiner (to paraphrase Torvalds just a little).

So thanks all you gnustep developers for what you've done, and if
you ever do build something that can be installed on bare hardware (using
a linux kernel, a bsd kernel, or something else) i'm all ears.  Especially if
it knows what a gpt disk is so that it can be installed alongside my
gnu/linux systems.

But even if you never do, i still admire you!!! :)  [And i still like
Camera.ap!!]

dan