Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)

From: Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Subject: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 11:02:11 +1100

IMHO the goal of gnustep is being a platform which open-source mac apps
can be ported to so that people don't have to run a proprietary kernel
to use these apps.

Just like ReactOS is there for people to use Notepad++ without having to
purchase the proprietary OS.

I am learning GNUStep platform for a few months now but low activity on
IRC is completely killing everything.

- http://www.gnustep.it/Renaissance/Documentation.html has a section
about connectors. No intro and no example. I am stuck and I can not
easily continue from there (I like this xml way of doing things a bit
more than gorm, I think)
- I would like to store, view, and search documentation offline, but I
do not know whether http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html is
the format helpviewer.app reads or it reads a different one.
- ProjectCenter.app crashes on Debian and nobody is uploading a new
version there.
-- I would like to see or create a distribution which has
GNUStep/Etoile/GAP packages (and builtin offline documentation in help
viewer, including man pages, user facing documentation, and developer
documentation about the classes) which is running linux-libre. Without
any GTK/QT/ROX/etc packages. So that it's self contained and newcomers
are likely to start developing stuff. Probably source-based or at least
with an easy package manager and easy means to create packages to test
them locally, and easy to share with others. I am considering publishing
a small copy of the Archlinux distribution for this purpose but maybe
source-based distribution would be better? I do not have large
experience in this regard.

--
Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Member of the Free Software Foundation