Re: Problem installing bundles without GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Problem installing bundles without GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 09:51:29 +0100

Hi,

On 22/01/2017 00:39, Matt Rice wrote:
FWIW, I always found pmanagerhttp://gna.org/projects/pmanager
to have a much more sane architecture than PC...
it hasn't seen activity in a long time however...

to each its own...

Additionally for bundles there is the foo_COPY_INTO_DIR...
you can see it used here

https://github.com/gnustep/gdl2/blob/master/EOAdaptors/PostgreSQLAdaptor/LoginPanel/GNUmakefile

I think that technically you should create an aggregate project in PC, having your application and the bundles as subprojects. But I don't know if you can get any further as far as to specify where to install the bundles. Could be a feature to add in the future, if it is not there or if it doesn't work it needs to be fixed.

I patched up PC in the past years, but never used aggregate projects myself, using separate framework+app where I had to.

On XCode you do it that way (see TalkSoup as an example), each bundle has a target and then the app has a "copy" phase. For bundles it is fine but for frameworks it is a mess since each framework needs to know if it is compiled for system or local resource usage!! so While it looks fine, I hate the XCode mess there too.

Riccardo