Re: Emacs Anyone?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Emacs Anyone?
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:09:24 +0100

Hi,

On 03/07/17 23:27, Fred Kiefer wrote:
Sorry, I fail to understand what is going on here. The code sends the message
alloc to the class object NSAutoreleasePool and this ends up das a forwarding
message. Why doesn’t it use the super implementation of alloc in NSObject?
Which Objective-C runtime are you using? Most likely the gcc one.
Somebody with a deeper understanding of the inner working of our different
runtimes should step up here.

exactly, it is gcc runtime, gcc 4.8

I'm still unsure what is happening here. IN any case the call is

#ifdef HAVE_NS
  ns_pool = ns_alloc_autorelease_pool ();
#ifdef NS_IMPL_GNUSTEP
  /* GNUstep stupidly resets our locale settings after we made them.  */
  fixup_locale ();
#endif

which is way later than my call to GSInitalizeProcess().

Perhaps the setup is not partial?
Why do you think there is an "alloc" forwarding problem? I see that the alloc triggers an autorelease and that is the message... but I guess you saw something I am missing.

#1 0xbb4442c9 in -[NSObject autorelease] (self=0x8f57650, _cmd=0xbb6f6440 <_OBJC_SELECTOR_TABLE+32>) at NSObject.m:1633

is this line:

  (*autorelease_imp)(autorelease_class, autorelease_sel, self);

Riccardo