Heads Up: Pantomime/GNUMail fixes

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Heads Up: Pantomime/GNUMail fixes
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:44:49 +0100

Hi All,

Yesterday I dared to change some parsing code in Pantomime, namely the code that parses email addresses. E.g. "Jon Doe <jon@doe.com" First, I tried some fixes with quotes, I was disturbed to see certain names quoted and certain not in he GNUMail From column. I think the new code is more compact and more robust, it looks fine in the hundreds of emails that I tested with.

Then there was a warning about an unsupported format and indeed it wasn't, by change one of the first emails I used to test had the sender in that address format, apparently quite rare. I implemented a simple parser for it too.

So after 10+ year new features! GNUMail now looks better indeed.

I then went a step further - the reason I ask everybody to test stuff before I make a new fix release: Currently addresses were stored with the personal information already quoted. That means that if a name had e.g. a "," in its name, it would appear quoed everywhere, including the message view columns. I find that ugly.

I changed so that it gets quoted only when the stringVaue is requested. That way headers and especially "replyTo" should work as-is, but here testing is required, I might have broken things in an unforseen manner.

So if you use Pantomine - the only current app is GNUMail itself I think, please update to current SVN version. LuserNET also uses Pantomime, but it does not appear to use its address handling so it is unaffected I suppose, a first test shows it works as before (the whole app bit-rotted a bit, the SVN repository of gnumail holds also a tweaked version of it). [1]
If there are other apps using Pantomime, please let me know!

Everything looks more polished now though!

Cheers (sent fro GNUMail!),

Riccardo

[1] http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep-nonfsf/